Sunday, 18 June 2017

A Changed Woman


I already feel like I have changed a great deal in my short time on this planet . For one thing my hair colour has gone from natural ginger to dark brown to red to purple to ginger to purple to brown to dyed ginger to blonde to ginger, and that’s just the shortened version. 

Most of the changes have been as slow and gradual as Slowpoke Rodriguez’s walk along the Great Wall of China, if he ever decided to embark upon that journey. In high school I was mainly quiet and socially awkward. I didn’t like to voice my opinion too much as I was constantly worried I would say the wrong thing or that I would be judged. It wasn’t until I was in sixth form that I started to come out of my shell a bit and actually contribute to group conversations. Fast forward a few years and I’ve managed to push myself into joining the netball league team at university (which ended up with me going on holiday with a much of people I didn’t know), joining the netball team at work, joining the sounding board at work, saying yes to a lot more invitations instead of shying away, basically doing many things my 15 years old self would hide from. I am actively trying harder not to give a shit what people think about me, which has helped me say yes more and become generally happier. It’s mentally exhausting to analyse a million and one ways someone can judge you on a daily basis!

One big change I have noticed in myself this year is my love of pop music. Growing up I was all about rock and indie, and I never really gave much time to pop. Apart from Spice Girls when I was a little one. I mean more in my teenage years, I just thought it was boring and repetitive. As I got older I realised some songs are just there to be a bit of fun. In this miserable world we live in it’s good to block out your troubles and shake your ass to some light hearted catchy lyrics with an upbeat tempo now and then. Nowadays I regularly sing and dance to Taylor Swift, as well as listening to all of my 90s faves on repeat. Noughties RnB is my thing right now, gimme all of the Usher and Ne-Yo.

I am so much more into politics these days, as a lot of the younger population are. I always had strong views on how the world should be, but I always disregarded politics as pretentious, boring and unlikely to make a difference, so I never paid it much attention. in the past few years I have been keeping on top of the goings on in the political world and I can (and will) talk for hours on end about my views. 

My body confidence has evolved a lot. Sometimes I would flat out refuse to put on swimwear, much to the frustration of my mum on holidays. She would try and tempt me into wearing it by buying me lovely swimsuits but I just couldn’t put them on. Or if i did then I would run to the sea or pool before anyone could see me. I wouldn’t say my body has improved, because it certainly hasn’t. But the way I view my body has and I no longer feel so ashamed.

There are so many other ways I have changed. I actually exercise and can run a decent distance without getting out of breath, something that was near impossible just 2 years ago. I have changed a lot of my eating habits, except that damn chocolate addiction. I have partially gotten over my fear of public speaking as I regularly have to present to the department and clients in my current role. And my fashion sense has definitely metamorphised from my grungy teenage days.

So I guess what I’m trying to say is that people can change. We are told a lot in TV shows and movies that people can’t change. Once a cheater, always a cheater. A leopard can’t change his spots. Second chances they don’t ever matter people never change. But I disagree. Obviously some people don’t want to change, which can be a good or bad thing, and sometimes it is impossible. But I think if you really want to change then it’s worth the try. 

How have you changed over the years? Have you actively tried to change an aspect of yourself or have you just noticed it one day? Please let me know in the comment section below!



Share:

2 comments

  1. I love this post. I think you write about a lot of things people can relate too. One big change I found was moving out of my home town. Being able to meet different people at university opened my mind and gave me an insight to worlds I didn't think existed. Also I think that visiting other countries has helped shape the way I am. As humans we are constantly learning and adapting, some faster than others, so I definitely do think that people can and do change. Great blog :) Ps I am looking forward to your upcoming ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! Yes, I agree. Moving out of my home town changed me more than anything, I got completely different views on the world. Ah yes, you do love travelling! Can't wait to see yours too ☺️ Xx

      Delete

Thank you for commenting!

© Minty Memories | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig