Saturday, 8 April 2017

Happy Scoops - March 2017


The world is a dark, dreary and dismal place that can sap the life right out of you. It sometimes feels like all I ever read or hear about are utterly depressing stories. I recently went to see Russell Howard who talks a lot about this very thing. His Good News is a truly brilliant idea. I think it is a bit weird that all the news outlets seem to primarily focus on the negative stories out there, when in actual fact there are a lot of beautiful stories too. So in true Russell Howard style I have decided to start rounding up some of those everyday heart warming and/or funny stories and getting them out there to hopefully remind people there is good alongside the bad. So here are some of the moments I have witnessed recently. I have only just decided to write this article and I am eager to get it out. But in future months when I have more time I will ask people I know to hopefully get a broader and lovelier round up. 

A Trio Of Samaritans


A big shot out to not just the one, not just the two, but the three lovely samaritans that helped an elderly man to his feet when he fell on the tram tracks and struggled to get back up. This was a Wednesday evening at just after 6pm, so it was rush hour and the trams were flying around pretty regularly. it must have been quite scary for the gentleman, I know I would have been petrified. Luckily the three passersby lifted him to his feet and picked up his hat. Unfortunately all of the change happened to fall out of the mans trouser pockets but they collected all that for him too.

Dinner Time


I think this one happened in late January, maybe early February. It was a chilly evening and I was on my way to the shops to pick up something for for tea. There was a homeless man sat outside a bus stop which is next to a co-op. I was almost at the door when I saw a man walk out with a bag full of food which he then handed to the homeless man. I thought it was such a kind gesture and I’m sure the homeless man thoroughly appreciated it.

Small Victory


So I was on the tram on my way home after work. We’d all just got on and the tram was absolutely heaving. One of the people who got on the tram with me happened to be an elderly lady. Sat down on the aisle seat was a young man and he (rudely) had his bag on the window seat, preventing anyone from sitting next to him. So another passenger noticed this and ask the young man to remove his bag from the seat and basically move his butt so the lady could sit down. Go on son!

You Got A Friend In Me


I’m not sure if you know this or not but Manchester is in the middle of a homeless epidemic. I read a startling statistic the other day that homelessness has grown 900% faster than anywhere else in the UK (this was during a certain time frame, I’m sorry but I don’t have the full details to hand but i think it may have been the last 5 years or so). What I have been seeing quite a lot lately is people stopping, sitting down and having conversations with them for a while instead of just walking on by. Just a small little gesture that might mean a lot to someone.

Tram Heroes


Another tram story I am afraid. I get it to and from work everyday so they might be a regular feature. I was on my way to work a few weeks ago and we’d only just made it to the next stop when the driver announced he was going to have to stop the tram. It turned out there was a 26 year old woman who had some sort of medical emergency, I am unsure of the specific details but I know she was unconscious for a lot of the time. Luckily for her there was a nurse and a paramedic on board. They rushed over to the scene to help and worked their admirable magic until the ambulance arrived. After the young woman was taken away on a stretcher everybody got back on the tram. The driver made an announcement over the tannoy apologising for the delay but mainly thanking the nurse and paramedic who had helped. At this point the whole tram burst into a round of applause for the two tram heroes. Such a heart warming and perspective gaining experience.

So those are my happy scoops. I think it’s good for the soul to try and focus more on these happy moments. As I said next month I will be collecting stories from people I know (so they might be less tram based). If you’ve got any yourself please let me know in the comments below, I’d love to hear them!



Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!

© Minty Memories | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig