Sunday, 16 October 2016

Me, Myself and Stress


Until recently I don’t think I have ever actually suffered from stress. There have been times when I have had to juggle a lot of things, times when people have been irritating the hell out of me and times when I have  definitely felt some pressure. But I wouldn’t really say that during any of these times I was suffering from stress.

In the past couple of months stress became a big part of my day to day life. I moved from just feeling a little tense to constantly feeling the pressure. I was struggling to handle things and was getting close to breaking point. I think a big factor was that both my work and home life simultaneously became hectic, so I didn’t have any time to take a step back and unwind. At work my responsibilities began to rapidly increase, whilst at home I was desperately trying to handle several situations, including trying to find somewhere to live as my then current tenancy contract  was quickly coming to an end (and I had a series of bad luck finding places!). I was spending all day at work struggling to keep up with my workload, only to come home and try to organise several things at once. This meant that I was on the go from early in the morning until midnight most nights Monday to Friday, with the weekends also involving a large to-do list. I know for some this may seem like an ordinary state of affairs. As I said before, it’s not the first time I have been busy. And I don’t know why the pressure suddenly got to me more. But it did.

I could feel myself becoming more and more stressed by the little things. Everything was getting to me. I really felt like I couldn’t handle it any more. As well as feeling irritable, my mood really plummeted. I was feeling low and helpless. I just wanted to go away to a remote location for a few days, where none of the stresses I was experiencing existed (but this wasn’t really an option!). Several times at work I had to fight back tears and on a few occasions I was so tempted to just walk out of the building. At home the slightest thing could send me into tears. I really wanted to go to my local GP and explain how I was feeling.

What stopped me from going to anyone about it was just…I felt I was being silly. Overdramatic. The Britishness in me, the part that says we must keep our emotions hidden deep down and trudge on, took over. I also felt that there are so many other people who were going through worse, I didn’t want to cause a fuss because I had a few more things on my plate. But i think not talking to anyone made it much worse. Having to try and deal with the pressure on my own only increased the pressure, which made me feel more stressed and isolated. I also felt I should be more strong minded, that I was weak for letting a little bit of stress affect me so much.

So in the end I didn’t really talk to anyone about it. Luckily for me things at work quietened down and I found a place to live. A lot of the things that were previously causing me stress disappeared, relieving a bit of the pressure. I suddenly had some free time to do absolutely nothing, I could finally begin to relax. I know there will some people out there who will have been feeling stressed for some time  now, and are keeping it bottled up. There might be those like me who don’t want to talk to anyone about it. I wanted to write this post and get it out there to let other people who are experiencing stress know that they are not alone in feeling the way they do. I find it so comforting to read about other people who have had similar experiences. I talked to the boyfriend about it a little, and just having someone there to listen to me helped. But I do wish I had talked about it sooner and more often. I could have alleviated some of the pressure I was feeling a lot earlier! 


The more we talk about these invisible illnesses the more we will remove the stigma around them. I really like how the blogging community has opened up on issues like this. Not only is it raising  some well needed awareness on mental health issues, but it’s also spreading the message that it’s ok to not be ok. I hope some people will find this post helpful. Thanks for reading to the end! Let me know what you think in the comments sections below, I would love to know your thoughts! 

Share:

4 comments

  1. Personally when I have too many things going on at once I easily start feeling overwhelmed. What often happens is that I create a lot of stress by overthinking & making myself believe I won't be able to handle everything I have to do. Just like you said, I rarely talk about it because I feel like I'm being silly - what I recently started to realise though is that stress should be taken seriously because it can really affect us in a bad way when we don't give ourselves time to recharge. Thank you for sharing this, I'm glad to hear you've been able to relax a bit more lately :) x

    Sara’sChapters

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading and taking the time to comment. I do exactly the same, it's hard to switch your brain off sometimes. I think stress is something we disregard too quickly. It affects you emotionally and physically and we usually just try to trudge on instead of taking time to relax! Thanks again for commenting 😊 X

      Delete
  2. Loved this, really get where you are coming from. Once we voice something, it seems to lighten slightly!

    moremindfulyou.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It definitely does, it's good to share 😊 Xx

      Delete

Thank you for commenting!

© Minty Memories | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig