Sunday, 23 October 2016

5 Things I Love About Being an Adult


Not so long ago I wrote a post called "5 Things That Suck About Being An Adult”. Let’s face it, after the carefree days of binge watching tv shows at university, entering the adult world was like a slap in the face with a giant hand wearing several rings. Gone were the days you could not turn up to a lecture because you felt a little sleepy. Gone were the weeks you went out 5 nights in a row. And gone were the days where one of your biggest concerns was whether you needed to get out of your pyjamas to go to the shop.

But while they are oh so many things that do suck about being an adult, there are also plenty of things that I love. So here are 5 things I love about being an adult….

  1. Money

How did I live off so little money whilst at university and still maintain an active social life? Now I am an adult in full time employment I actually have spare money to buy the things I like. Sure, my wage could do with being bumped up a few grand. But I am no longer standing in the supermarket peering at the price labels trying to find the cheapest loaf of bread. I don’t instinctually ask the bartender what the cheapest drink is or choose the lowest priced item of the menu. I can actually go out for decent meals and enjoy a fancy cocktail without breaking the bank.

2. Home

One thing I couldn’t wait for when leaving for university was finally having my own bedroom. Growing up I shared a room with my sister. Whilst this was so much fun in so many ways, it was also a touch cramped. Who knew two girls could harvest so much stuff! Now I have a whole flat to myself and the boyfriend. I get to decorate it how I like, I can put something down without it being mysteriously moved and no one steals my food! 

3. Food

Talking about food. Remember the you were younger and you’d ask your mum what’s for tea and she’d reply with something disgusting like “fish” (I hate seafood!). Well, being an adult you get to choose all the meals you eat so you get to eat what you like every night! Sometimes that means whipping up a delicious Sunday roast or trying your hand at a new recipe. Other days that means a family size bag of crisps and a whole tub of Ben & Jerrys. 

4. Parents

A unexpected thing I experienced as an adult was the changing relationship with my parents. Whereas before they were the strict figures enforcing rules and setting at an example, they have now become more of a friend figure. I can talk to them about things I never thought I would, which has lead me to discover many interesting things about their past. When I used to go back to my home town for a visit my priority was to meet up with friends and go hit the clubs. Now I choose to stay at home with the parents to have a good long natter.

5. Independence

I guess this is the main theme running through a lot of these reasons. Having the ability to choose to do the things that I want to do when i want to do them. Obviously there are some restrictions in place to living life as I please. I would like more than anything to travel the whole world. Financially this is not currently an option but it is something I can work towards. I take pride in the fact I left the family home to start a new life in a different city. I went from living in a not so nice house initially, to living in a beautiful flat in my dream location just by rocking it like rihanna and work work work work working.


So there’s 5 of my counter arguments to my previous post. What do you love about being an adult?

Share:

9 comments

  1. Great post! You make growing up sound so fun!

    x Annabelle
    <a href="http://travelsandtea.com/html/„>travelsandtea.com</a>

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's not all bad when you enter the real world 😊 X

      Delete
  2. I agree that these are positives of being an adult. The money part is so true!

    I recently started blogging and would appreciate it if you checked it out:
    http://www.myclusterofthoughts.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll go check it out now, thanks for reading :) xx

      Delete
  3. I have been living on my own since I was 18 years old and I love it! Being independent is the most incredible thing and having your own money to spend is the best! :)

    Yiota
    PinkDaisyLoves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree! ots so good being able to pay your own way in the world xx

      Delete
  4. the part about food is my favourite
    remember how you used to have to ask your parents to have ice cream
    now if I want ice cream ill drive to the store and eat a whole tub in bed if I want to!
    xx

    Lizzie | Takeoffs & Landings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yes! Ice cream is my favourite thing and now no one can stop us eating it πŸ˜„ Xx

      Delete
  5. lovely post,I love the last point,independence is really the best thing about being an adult ;)

    todaysouhaila.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!

© Minty Memories | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig