Sunday, 11 September 2016

5 Everyday Pieces of Sexism

Today’s post is all about those little pieces of everyday sexism. The little moments in your day that make you go “…seriously?” We’ve all been there haven’t we? Listening to the story that starts with “I’m not sexist but…” Or watching a panel show with a person proclaiming “she’s funny for a girl”. Here are 5 pieces of sexism I experience in my day-to-day life.


1.    “Half a pint, yeah?”
Okay, so this one really annoys me. It happens so much. When I go to the pub and ask for the beer by its name, e.g. “Estrella please”, I get the same response – “is that a half love?” No. Not a half. I would like a full pint please. This may seem petty but I have asked plenty of boys if this happens to them and it hasn’t, but it has happened to several girls I know.

2.    “A guy would have saved that”
So I hear boys complain a lot about women’s sport. And usually I let it go by, you have to pick your arguments. Recently one comment really annoyed me though. A female footballer took a shot from far away from the post and managed to score. The guy who was watching this just laughed then said “yeah but if it was a male goal keeper he would have saved that”. Why is it down to the gender of the goalkeeper that the shot wasn’t saved, rather than just the ability of that one goal keeper?

3.    “She is a bit of a slut though”
How many times do we have to go through this one? I’m tired of the same people who call girls sluts for sleeping around, calling the boys who do the same “lad”. Please stop this double standard. A woman can sleep with as many men as she wants. It’s her body and her choice.

4.    “She’s wearing a lovely blue suit”
Anyone else getting a little tired of reading about some woman has accomplished something great and then what she was wearing while she did it. “Julie solved world hunger…wearing a striking blue strappy dress with matching heels”. Also, when reporters feel the need to mention how Julie is balancing her work life and family life.

5.    “A naked woman would make this film better”
This is probably one of the most annoying, it. Why does the media think that so many films, and TV shows, need to include some slow-mo of a woman in a barely there outfit swishing her hair about and pouting down the lens. Or how many films need to include a trip to a strip joint? Why on earth does the Internship need a strip club scene?


So there’s some of my little annoyances (there’s loads more, believe me!). Any of you experience the same? What other everyday pieces of sexism do you experience?
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!

© Minty Memories | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig