Thursday, 31 March 2016

New York Diary


I’m not sure if you’ve heard me mention this or not but I went to New York last week! I had never been to America before (I had not even left Europe) so I was beyond excited. Being a big fan of TV shows like Friends, How I Met Your Mother and Sex and the City (major guilty pleasure) I could not wait to explore the city that never sleeps. I plan on doing several separate posts on particular parts of this city to hopefully offer some useful advice for those wishing to visit, but this post is going to be a quick diary style round up of how I spent my days in New York.


Day One

Well this was mainly spent travelling from Heathrow to JFK. Once we arrived we took the subway to our hotel, quickly got changed then got the subway to Brooklyn to watch a Basketball game at the Barclays Centre. This was amazing and I highly recommend seeing a game if you are in New York during basketball season. Think T-Shirt cannons, cheerleaders, foam fingers and nachos!


Day Two
We stayed in a hotel right next to Times Square so we headed there in the morning and then down Broadway. It’s just like you see on the television, bright lights, advertisements everywhere and bustling with people. We were still quite sleepy from the day before (we were up for 23 hours straight!) so we wanted to have a bit of a relaxing day. We explored midtown then made our way to the Rockefeller as we had tickets to see the Seth Meyers show.


Day Three
We started this morning by having a lovely 10km run around Central Park, which was a great way to see a lot of the park. The views are stunning and it was nice to see a bit of greenery in the concrete jungle. After the run we made our way downtown where we visited Wall Street, Battery Park and Brooklyn Bridge. We then went to Greenwhich Village which was so beautiful and of course I had to go see Carrie Bradshaws apartment – dream come true!


Day Four
On Friday we went on a walk around the Upper West Side. After breakfast (chocolate chip pancakes, naturally) we made our way to the Natural History Museum. This just so happened to be Good Friday so the place was heaving with noisy children but it was still really fun. That night we decided to be young and carefree and went on a night out in Hells kitchen, which was brilliant. There are so many bars and we made friends in every place we went to, even fitting in a terrible rendition of Wonderwall by Oasis in a karaoke bar.


Day Five
Hungover from the night before and slightly regretting the shots, we boarded the subway and made our way Downtown again. This time we visited Ground Zero which has been made into two enormous waterfalls with reflecting pools. Afterwards, we went to see the Statue of Liberty and explored the New York streets a bit more. At night we went up to the top of the Empire State Building; the views you get of New York are so breath-taking even at night, with all the lights sparkling way down below.


Day Six
Our last day…nooooo! We went to the Top of the Rock to see New York from above in the daylight. I loved the views from here and with the sun beating down on us it was so relaxing, I could have stayed there all day. We did a little more exploring on foot then grabbed lunch in Times Square and alas, our time in New York was over (after a very stressful subway ride to the airport – I am not a fan of the subway!).


New York was a slow romance for me. I think I had New York syndrome at the start, but as the week progressed I did fall in love with the city and I would like to return one day. Next time I’d like to check out Brooklyn and catch a show on Broadway, as well as discovering more of what Uptown has to offer. Have you ever been to New York or would you like to go?


Share:

2 comments

  1. Cool. It looks like you had a great time. I've never been to NY but I would love to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really lovely, definitely go of you get the chance 😊 X

      Delete

Thank you for commenting!

© Minty Memories | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig