Thursday, 10 March 2016

My First Marathon II


I am currently training for my first Marathon (scary!), which is the Manchester Marathon on the 10th April this year. Yes, that’s right, only 4 weeks and 3 days away! That’s actually the first time in a while I’ve counted how long is left, my heart is pounding a little!... *Deep breaths*… Moving on. I thought I would write a sort of mishap post about the things I have learnt or noticed so far.
If you have read my previous blog post My First Marathon you will know that this time last year I was pretty much the furthest thing away from being a runner. Sports and I have never really been best of friends, not mortal enemies but not exactly braiding each other’s hair on a Friday night. I moved to Manchester and signed up for the Manchester 10km and then got a bit giddy and thought I’d tackle a marathon. So here are some observations I have made during training…

1.    Mantras help
Mantras really can help, despite how corny they are! My favourites include ‘you’re running laps around the people sat on the sofa’ and ‘a bad run is better than no run’.

2.      Running becomes your life
Okay, so I knew it was going to take a lot of effort, but it really can feel like it’s taking over your life. Especially at the beginning. I was running 4 times a week and when I wasn’t running I was talking about running and when I wasn’t talking about running I was probably thinking about running. Or Chocolate.

3.    The short runs can be the hardest
Seeing a short run on your training plan can be a thing of beauty. However, sometimes the short runs are a bigger pain in the arse than long runs. I have ran a 10 mile run and felt like I had the energy to just keep going, whilst other days I have struggled SO MUCH with a 40 minute run.

4.      Rest week was not as good as expected
So during my training plan you get an easy week to allow your body time to adapt and recover. I was counting down the days for this week. But by the end of it I felt so sluggish and could not wait to put some more miles in.

5.    You won’t do every run
At the beginning I was quite strict with the plan, not missing a run for anything. But as most training plans are around 16 weeks long, you are going to miss a run! Life happens. Sometimes you end up working late, you make last minute plans, you have events you have to go to or tram after tram is cancelled…whatever the reason is, it’s extremely hard to fit in every single run.

6.      Learn to dance in the rain
Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass, it’s about learning to dance in the rain. Or run in this case.  Previously I would see a rainy day as a wonderful get out clause for that nights run. Training throughout winter you just have to suck it up and run. Whether that be through the strong winds, the pouring down rain or even the cold, cold snow. 

I have so many more things to write about but I am conscious of the size of the post, so I will wrap this up now. I will be writing a post every week in the run up to my marathon with more observations, learnings and emotional breakdowns! Are you training for anything?
Share:

2 comments

  1. I really really wish you all the best of luck! It is clear to me how dedicated and passionate you are about doing this! Good luck lovely and I am sure you will smash it x

    Thrifty vintage fashion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, it's very kind of you to say. So glad you commented, I just checked out your blog and I love it! :) x x

      Delete

Thank you for commenting!

© Minty Memories | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig