Tuesday, 17 November 2015

Spicy Vegetable Soup







The weather is colder, wetter and windier. Salads are no longer going to cut it. I know I need something warm to get me through the day. I absolutely love soup: it's healthy, cheap and so easy to make. I've built this recipe up over the past few weeks, taking bits and pieces from various others.



Spicy Vegetable Soup - A thick and spicy soup guaranteed to warm you up on these blustery days.

6-8 Servings

What you will need:

  • 2 tbsp olive oil or butter
  • 1 medium chilli
  • 3 cloves of garlic
  • 2 medium red onions, diced
  • 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
  • 1 parsnip, peel and cubed
  • 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cubed
  • 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and chopped (optional)
  • pinch of chilli powder (optional)
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 1 tsp mixed herbs
  • 1.5 litres vegetable stock
Now that's all prepared (should take around 10 minutes) it's time to cook!

  1. Heat the oil or butter in a large saucepan then add the onions, garlic, medium chilli, chilli powder, paprika and mixed herbs and heat on a gentle heat for 10 minutes (or until the onions are translucent).
  2. Add the carrots, parsnip, butternut squash and sweet potato. Saute the vegetables for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  3. Add the stock and allow to simmer for 20-30 minutes (until the vegetables have softened)
  4. Once the cooking is done leave to cool a little then use a hand blender to process until smooth. 
And there you have it. So simple and easy to do. I tend to make a batch on Sunday afternoons and use it for lunches throughout the week. It's so handy being able to pour some into a container before I leave the house for work, means I get a little longer in bed than if I was preparing a salad! If that's not a good enough reason I don't know what is.

Prepare Your Veg
Gently Heat The Onions
Saute The Veg
Add Stock And Simmer Then Blend
Enjoy :)
Please let me know what you think or share your favourite recipe in the comment box below...


Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!

© Minty Memories | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig